Engineering Permit

The City of Royal Oak Engineering Division issues permits for construction or blockage activities in the public right-of-way and for commercial & multi-family residential on-site paving as outlined below. The fee schedule, which includes permit fees, inspection rates and performance guarantee amounts is updated annually.

All engineering permits require a work description with site plan drawing and certificate of insurance when applying online.

Permits MUST be applied for by the contractor.

Engineering permits applied for by the homeowner will not be accepted.

Register with Engineering for Permitting

Send completed registration form and certificate of insurance to the the Engineering Division at:

Apply For Permits Online

Visit and choose Royal Oak municipality. Log in to your account and apply for an Engineering permit.Apply online button Opens in new window

Storm Water Detention
Any development, renovation or addition to an existing development within the city must detain the storm water runoff from the improvement on-site in accordance with City Ordinance §644. This requirement excludes properties in the Central Business District Zones and properties used for one- and two-family residential purposes. Properties that are less than 6,100 square feet in area do not require storm water detention, but may have to file a lien for future storm water detention with the city.

Engineering Permit Categories

Commercial Projects

This category is for major commercial and multi-family developments.

Container in ROW

When a dumpster, storage pod, or other container needs to be placed in the roadway, parking spot or public right-of-way

Electrical - Underground

Installation of electrical services underground instead of aerial.

New House/Major Reconstruction

Builders and contractors doing major renovations or new construction homes are required to have an engineering permit to cover any damage to the public right-of-way, underground water/sewer lead installations, sidewalk and approach replacement and lawn restoration.

On-Site Paving

Required when a commercial business or multi-family residential property is repairing, resurfacing or replacing their parking lot. One and two-family homes are exempt from this permit.


For any construction or blockage activities in the public right-of-way that does not fit into a specific category.

Sewer Lead Repair/Tap or Water Service Repair/Tap

When repairing or replacing a private sewer/water lead in the public right-of-way, requires excavation under the sidewalk, greenbelt or roadway. Also required for rear-yard sewer taps.


When replacing concrete on city property.

Telecommunications - Aerial or Underground

These two categories are for the installation of cable or other telecommunication lines either underground or aerially attached to existing utility poles.

Traffic Control

Required when closing or blocking the public sidewalk, traffic lane(s), or full roadway for construction activities.

Useful Documents

Permit Forms