The following guidelines should be followed when entering a flooded area with any type of gas and/or electric present:
- Have the utility companies shut off the gas and/or electricity.
- Do not touch the fuse box or any plugged-in cords or appliances until the electricity is shut off. Touching these could result in electrocution.
- If an electrical appliance motor or any controls are submerged under water do not start it until consulting with the dealer or a service company.
- Do not re-light appliances until checked by the gas company. Make sure all pilot lights are on before re-lighting burners.
- Do not light matches until the gas is turned off. If there is a gas leak it could cause an explosion.