- I Want To...
- Use the Library
- Apply for a Library Card
Apply for a Library Card
Royal Oak Public Library cards are issued to Royal Oak residents for library services including online access to ebooks and other electronic resources. The Royal Oak Public Library requires official photo identification showing the resident's name and permanent address. The following will be accepted:
- Michigan driver's license or State ID card with current Royal Oak address
- or, picture ID with proof of residency shown by one of the following:
- car registration
- utility bill
- copy of lease or mortgage
- copy of property tax statement
- postmarked mail
- Persons under 12 years of age must have the signature of a parent or guardian on their application cards in order to be issued a card. If parent/guardian is not a current ROPL card holder, parent/guardian must show same proofs of residency as required above.
- Non-resident students enrolled in Royal Oak schools are eligible to register for a library card.
- Patrons who live in Royal Oak but who do not have proof of address yet may register for a library card either online or in person that will be sent via the USPS. Successful receipt of the card will serve as proof of address.
- The Royal Oak Public Library reserves the right to refuse a card to a person for failure to meet the above requirements.
- "MI Library Card" stickers will be applied to Royal Oak library cards for Royal Oak residents on request, giving the card owner access to more than 300 participating libraries throughout the state.
- ROPL will issue cards to employees of companies, schools, or organizations in the city of Royal Oak if they do not already have a library card from a library in The Library Network or TLN.
- The fee for a non-resident library card is $100.00 per person for one year. This allows access to ROPL's services but not reciprocal privileges at other TLN libraries or MelCat borrowing.
- Library cards will be blocked when fees are $15.00 or more.
1. Register for your instant digital card online (Patrons ages 12+)
2. Royal Oak school library card application (Parent/Guardian consent for patrons ages 11 and younger; teacher application)