- What’s Happening
- Getting Around
- Bicycling in Royal Oak: Ride On
- National Bike Month
National Bike Month
Ride On, Royal Oak!
Royal Oak celebrates National Bike Month in May with Ferndale and Oak Park i with group rides, classes, a bike rodeo, and more. Here's what the three cities have planned.
- Group Bike Rides - This year's "slow roll-style" rides will take place on 3 occasions (weather permitting) and take a leisurely pace within Ferndale and surrounding communities. Rides are at a family-friendly pace and typically last 75-90 minutes (10-13 miles). Bike rides will take place on May 9, 22, and 30. Official start dates, locations, and route maps will be posted shortly.
- Parks Tour Group Bike Ride - On Saturday, May 5th this group bike ride will incorporate stops at Ferndale and Royal Oak parks Start time and RSVP link will be posted shortly.
- Health and Fitness Group Bike Ride - Another leisurely bike ride on Saturday, May 12th between communities will incorporate mini-workouts with trainers from Ferndale's own The Fit Park. Riders will bicycle around town and stop for 4 workouts on our way to the Royal Oak Farmer's Market for healthy snacks (purchased separately). The bike ride leader will lead riders back to Ferndale after the visit to the Farmer's Market. Start time is 10:30 am leaving from The Fit Park (911 W. Nine Mile, Ferndale) and a RSVP link will be posted shortly.
- Downtown Bike Rodeo - The City of Royal Oak teams up with Modern Skate & Surf, KLM Bike & Fitness, Oakland County Parks & Recreation and more for a family-friendly event on May 11 from 6 pm to 9 pm at the Williams Street Parking Lot at 211 S. Williams. This event features a BMX bike show, alternative/electric bike 'test ride' opportunities, safety information from the Royal Oak Police Department, bike helmet fittings and demonstrations on how to put your bike on a SMART bus rack. Oakland County will be on-site with its retro games mobile recreation unit and Modern Skate will offer group rollerskating lessons! See the plans for new north-south bikes lanes coming this summer to Royal Oak. Music by Postman Productions. Bring non-perishable food items for the US Post Office 'Stamp Out Hunger' food drive. Pizza and other items will be available for purchase at this event.
- Bicycling 101 Class - Are you interested in the rules of the road, hand signals, bike routes, and information on new bike lanes? Join us for a Bicycling 101 class at the Ferndale Area District Library on May 23 at 6:30 pm.